Saturday, August 31, 2013

Homemade Date Night

Hey- it can't all be about fitness and weight loss, right? Life certainly isn't!

Last night I got a wild hair up my rear and decided I was going to make a special dinner for the hubby and I. No reason, just cause. So I stopped by Whole Foods and picked up some fun stuff. Definitely had a splurge night in the Grady household. 

Fancy dinner started with fancy salad, made with and organic herbed baby greens mix from Earthbound Farms. I added some mushrooms and edible flowers. It was a tasty salad. I didn't notice any different flavor from the flowers, but it was pretty to look at! I steamed some asparagus for a side, as well 

 

I semi-homemade some marinara sauce. Took canned crushed tomatoes and added it to sauteed onion and garlic, threw in some white wine and spices and it turned out pretty good, I think. Hubby said it was the best marinara he had ever had. emoticon I put the marinara on fresh garlic parsley linguine (that I did not make) and added pan-seared shrimp and sea scallops. I also toasted the lovely organic tuscan bread, rubbed with garlic and butter in the oven. And of course there was a lovely vidal blanc to drink with it, from one of my favorite wineries: New Kent Winery. 

 

I'm excited to see how the leftovers taste, now that that marinara has had time to marinate. I went a little over board last night, but it was so good! I was surprised I was hungry this morning after all of that! Sometimes you need to live a little. And it's good to celebrate each other sometimes. It made me happy to surprise hubby with a nice thing that I made. emoticon emoticon

No comments:

Post a Comment