Tuesday, August 27, 2013

On 30 Pounds

WOW! I didn't think I was EVER going to hit this one! I've been waiting anxiously for a couple of weeks for it, because this is the most weight I've ever lost in one go. I am now only six pounds away from having lost 10% of my original starting weight, which is my first major SparkPeople goal! I talked about this a little bit in a message board post on my Healthy Living Challenge board this morning. I chose 10% as my first goal, because that's where you start seeing the real health benefits. SP has a great article bout losing 10% of your body weight:  http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/wellness_articles.as p?id=528

 I'd like to profess that maybe I've finally gotten the hang of this thing, but I don't want to jinx myself. I'm still struggling with most the weekends now. Even my evenings have gotten much better. I still have that urge when I first get home to make a run for the pantry and find something to snack on, but if I pet the kitty, go straight to the bedroom, pet the kitty, repack my gym bag, pet the kitty, get tomorrow's gym clothes laid out, and change into my civies, and of course- pet the kitty (she's very needy when I first get home) by the time I make it to the kitchen to fix my breakfast/lunch/snacks for the next day, I'm usually good. If not, I'll grab the orange I keep in the fridge (and replace it with a new one) for just that very reason. I think not having a schedule on the weekends end up being my undoing. And I do still fall victim to the "well I've done great all week and worked hard- I deserve a reward!" I need to remember the words of a lady from the gym about what junk food not being any kind of reward for your body. I've gotten up "early" the past couple of Saturdays to be active, and I think that really puts me on the right path for the day. I'm definitely one of those people who is motivated by a good start.

 So, what have I learned in 30 pounds: -consistancy pays far more dividends than random spurts. -bad days happen, one meal/crappy workout is not going to ruin a week of good work. Just like a week of good work is not going to reverse years of bad habits. -just showing up doesn't cut it after a while. You really do have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to see real results. -support is everything. Between SparkPeople, my gym family, my family and friends and making this whole thing a public affair on Facebook, not only have I given myself tons of accountability, but also tons of support. It's that support that I can never thank anyone enough for, and the only way to pay it back it to pay it forward.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! That's a huge milestone. I have also found that finding something to replace the behavior of eating works for me. I think it just becomes such a habit, and it's one I have to fight ALL the damn time.

    ReplyDelete