Saturday, August 24, 2013

Movin' and Groovin' 2 miler

Good Saturday evening!

I did my first walk today since this past April, when I did the Ukrop's 10k and the Ashland Railroad Run 5k. Today's race was a small local event to raise money for Pancreatic Cancer research. Apparently that is one of the cancers that there is no real early detection tests for. Which is why I guess that it seems to take people so quickly, because it's usually fairly advanced before it's discovered.

It was a beautiful day for a walk in the park. I signed up for the two mile option. We had a team from the gym, and I thought we were all going to walk together, which was the main reason I took the 2 mile option, because most of them did. But since we didn't walk in a group, and several of the ladies ran the 5k, I think next year I will choose the 5k. It was cool at first, my hands were actually cold walking from the parking lot to the starting area! And the humidity broke a little after the front that moved through yesterday, so it was great. The majority of the course was on a trail through the woods, so we weren't even in the direct sunlight. 

I need to get out on the road once a week or so. Gimpy foot has not been overly happy with me once I got off of it and it cooled down. I believe I am going to sign up for the training team when I sign up for an 8k that is part of the Richmond Marathon in November. The Sunday runs are outside and will definitely be time spent on pavement. I did find it interesting that considering I was running this week and gimpy foot didn't complain, a little two mile walk bothered it. I guess it really does show you the difference between treadmill running and road running. 

I completed the two miles in 36:58, so my pace is still about the same from April, which is great because a) I haven't been training for any races, including this one and b) I haven't spend as much time walking as I used to, I had been doing other cardio instead.It's kind of exciting, personally. I'm signed up for The Color Run in September, and since I'm working on the C25k program, that means my time should be even better! I don't think I'll be running the whole thing I'll only be on week four of the program, of course, adrenaline can make you do some crazy things. 

I ended up taking a nap this afternoon, which NEVER happens anymore. Crazy. I'll probably be up all night, but you never know. I could have just needed the extra rest, with adjusting to the running and all. Tomorrow is a rest/ schoolwork day So that will be nice. We're looking at a very pleasant, mild week here, and after a grey dreary week I can't wait for some sun!

I hope you have a great week as well! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you all didn't get to walk to together. That's great for your time though. I have the opposite problem where I am more sore after treadmill running or walking. It must be because my body just isn't used to doing it as much or something.

    ReplyDelete